Monday, October 5, 2009

Big Spare Parts Purchase, Running It By You

I have been thinking about this for awhile. Sort of want to run it by you folks, also I just can't think of anything else to write. So here we go.

Between selling the Glock .40 and some saving I have a pretty decent wad of cash saved up. I can throw a hundred bucks at this or fifty at that pretty easy but big amounts of cash are pretty rare and I want to do this right.

I have $1,100 for this purchase.

First and foremost I am going to get enough 9mm Glock magazines to get me to the comfortable happy place. I will get 10 normal full capacity and three of the big 33rders because well they could be useful and might go up significantly in value. This will cost $300 or a shade more. I put this first for a couple reasons. First of all the stuff I am going to list evil high capacity assault weapons magazines have the most chance of a radical (and maybe permenant) spike in price. Second I may never need any spare parts but I know that as a Glock shooter I will find a use for mags. That takes us to $800ish.

Now it is time to get cracking on spare parts. I have put this off for way too long and want to be able to take a big jump toward keeping my guns running for the unforeseeable future. Having a couple dollar part sideline a several hundred dollar weapon for which I have taken the time and expense to stash a good amount of ammo would be a real waste.

First and foremost I need to secure AR parts. I am quite comfortable with this platform and have plenty of bullets for it. This kit seems pretty good to me and with a spare buttstock and pistol grip and a few other goodies and a broken shell extractor. Figure $300 will be plenty for this platform. Leaves us with $500ish.

Now to the Glock 9mm. Commander Zero wrote about this topic and well he knows guns and Glocks. Figure I can probably get a good stash of Glock parts for $200 or so. Leaves $300 to work with.

Now for the Remington 870. A field repair kit is always a good start and I will throw a few spare springs (w/ followers) in to boot. Can't see myself breaking anything on this gun and certainly not anything aside the stuff I mentioned. [When I have a couple of these I will get at least one spare stock but the thing is heavy wood and I've never come close to breaking a stock. ] Call that $100 to keep the math easy. So we are at $200ish now.

Things get a little bit muckier. First of all I would really need to see where I am at cash wise as my math was pretty approximate. Second of all my priorities become less clear. I am somewhat inclined to put some remaining funds I have toward Mossberg 500 parts. Don't plan to get another Mossberg but they are not bad guns and it was the first gun I ever owned so it does have a soft spot. Assuming my math is halfway accurate I would be able to get it pretty taken care of and then probably have some left over to pick up a due dad or a widget or three.

Then again a friend noted that I should get some mag springs for the Glock. I am definitely planning to do that but it may be another purchase for another day. I have a reasonable stash of mags and don't keep more than 3-4 loaded at any point in time so it is not a hugely pressing concern. However certainly mag springs and followers are something I should just throw a C note at for peace of mind. Come to think of it doing that for both the Glock 9mm and AR would probably be wise.

After making (more or less) this purchase I will still have a long way to go in spare parts. Possibly the Mossberg, the 1911 and my surplus rifles will need some loving too but with the bulk of my spare parts (at least for current armory levels) needs met it will be easy enough to finish up over time in a more gradual way.

Thoughts? Did I miss anything? Parts I should get but didn't list, mistaken priorities?

13 comments:

Sam said...

Cleaning supplies, lots and lots of cleaning supplies.

Another good post. Thanks.

Chris said...

I would recommend one of the following buffer springs

http://www.superiorshootingsystems.com/AR15_Buffer_Springs-AR_15_Buffer_Spring_Fits_both_Carbine_and_Std.html

They will last a great deal longer than traditional piano wire buffer springs. More info at

http://www.davidtubb.com/tcom_images/ar15_images/cs_flatwire.html

Anonymous said...

You say "I can throw a hundred bucks at this or fifty at that pretty easy but big amounts of cash are pretty rare and I want to do this right."

And then you break down the $1100 into small parcels to spend on small $200-300 items.

I'd look at something that you want/need that costs $1000+ because now you've got that kind of money. You can always spend $200-300 on magazines and parts kits when you only have $200-300.

Since I'm not privy to your preps, I'm not sure what you need...

However, you talk a lot about guns, ammo, and PMs. What are you neglecting?

$1000 is about what you would need to spend on a decent SHTF solar system with solar panels, inverters, batteries, etc.
$1000 would buy a decent ham radio / communications setup.
$1000 would buy an old (non electronic) lathe and/or mill for your workshop. And you would be able to use your workshop to make replacement parts for all kinds of things (including your weapons).

These are all things that you can't buy with a couple of hundred dollars, these are the types of things you should buy when you have $1100 to spend.

Jack

Anonymous said...

For the Glock, what about spare front/rear sights, a Glock disassembly tool (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=181144) or a bsse pad removal tool for Glocks (http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#333867____-_1-2-4_8-16-32)?

b3n said...

I agree with Anon...that much money should be going towards a large purchase or savings. But that depends on your cash flow and current emergency fund. I would be asking myself how long would it take me to save up another $1100 and ultimately that would make the decision for me. I think 6 months of expenses in an emergency fund has a MUCH higher likelihood of being used than a spare part on ANY of these weapons.

Adam said...

do what you need to do, but you might consider consolidating your calibers and firearms. For example, trade the mossberg for an 870, the 1911 for another glock, etc.

That way you can have more parts work with your guns, and more ammo to share among firearms.

Just a thought.

FarmerMechanic said...

I still think you need to get a 9mm reloading kit from LEE. $35 for the loader and $26 for a bullet mold. Then get primers, $30 and powder $26 add some shipping to all 5-6 bucks each so around $150 bucks for 1000 rounds with your spent brass. After which powder/primers each 1000 rds cost you (powder/primers) 60$.. Less if you find some deals locally and you don't mail order your components.
Lead is available everywhere (car batteries)

Anonymous said...

Are you prepared to filter water? Got rain catchment? Bleach to kill all the nasties we can't hit with 9mm?

theotherryan said...

Sam, Doing fairly OK in that area but a gallon of CLP and a bunch of gun scrubber along with some rags might not be a bad idea, will ponder that.

Chris, Will look into that.

Jack, Interesting observation. Maybe my choice of words was poor. Not really in a place where I could utilize a solar power system. Making parts in a workshop is way above my knowledge level.

3:56, Good call on some spare sites.

B3n, Again maybe I wasn't clear. I got most of this cash by selling a gun to simplify my logistical trail and fund spare parts purchases. As for cash flow we are doing just fine saving about 18% with ample cash left over at the end of the pay period. My job is a bit unusual because it is pretty darn secure and my wages are stable. As for savings we have a bit short of 3 months in the bank, a wad of cash and a fairly heavy bag of precious metals.

Adam, Interesting point. I took a good step toward that ditching the .40 cal. Will ponder getting rid of the Mossberg at some point. Mostly that is a matter of convenience. If I know someone who wants to swap for a Remington without trying to bend me over I would do it. As for the 1911 I kind of like it and will probably hold onto it. Though the idea of swapping up to a 4" stainless model just crossed my mind and it makes some sense. Will ponder those ideas.

Farmermechanic, Sort of an odd situation as I am acquiring stuff which I am not going to see or touch for a long time. I am ordering stuff and having it sent to a family members house for them to hold onto for me. Because of this it is more getting this or that and not so much picking up a new skill or whatnot. I will hop onto reloading once back in the US.

10:00PM, Yes we have a high quality water filter ready and an old one I used for camping somewhere. No rain catchment but that is not an option where I am now. As for bleach we can probably use a couple gallons of the stuff, thanks for the reminder. Still stocking up on stuff after the move.

irishdutchuncle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Small parts are important, but how about tools. Each weapon class has certain tools that are needed to fix/service them properly.

A good screwdriver set is almost mandatory. The Brownells set is the gold standard but Pachmayer/B square makes a small set that works for most applications.

A set of punches, I like the replaceable tip Brownells steel punches. Needed for driving pins and lining up parts. A small brass/plastic hammer also.

Special wrenches. The DPMS Armorer's wrench for the AR15 is a must. As well as a vice block that fits in the mag well to hold the receiver steady as you work.

Get a Brownells catalog and check their recommendations for tools. Midway also has a catalog that is useful.

Also consider manuals for each class of firearm. Never hurts to have written instructions when you need to do repairs. Check for downloadable manuals, or go to AFRCOM for the AR15. I assembled an AR15 lower following instructions on ARFCOM using common household tools!

Could go on for hours about this. Proper tools make jobs easier and prevent damage to the weapon.


Harmony Hermit

Anonymous said...

I echo Sam - Cleaning supplies. Google the universe into finding gun cleaning supplies that are made from scratch (Red's Formula, etc.), as these multi-use materials will come in useful.

Paul said...

There's a letter on Rawles' Survival Blog today (10/6) about spare parts kits, along with his reply that contains a lot of links. Note that the Permalink to the article doesn't work, but here is Rawles' site: http://www.survivalblog.com/

Popular Posts