Tuesday, October 12, 2010

New Years Resolutions IPR #3

 Lined through are completed.

My goals for this year.

Personal:
1. Pay more attention to my wife. This one is continual but I can reasonably say it is going well.
2. Travel a lot.  We went to Croatia, Italy, Spain, Luxembourg and the Czech Republic. May make it to Paris just before years end.

Personal Stuff:
3. We can use a few smaller things like a new TV and another laptop. The main push however is to get a reliable second car which we pay cash for. The first car is still plugging along but I think when we get a better second one and it is relegated exclusively taking me to work and back its life would be greatly extended.

Financial:
4. Stash some more Euro's. Say E400 or so. A good chunk into this one. Will probably just finish it off in one shot at some point.
5. Contribute 10% of our total take home to retirement.
6. Stash at least a half an ounce of gold  and 40 ounces of silver. Just started on the silver. Don't think we will make 40 ounces but oh well.
7. Continue to not make stupid choices.

Skills:
8. Take an automotive class.  They offer them on base and I need to know more about car repair. 
This one got replaced by brewing some beer which I did.
9. Be able to setup and trouble shoot a small solar setup.    Sorta mute since I went with a solar charger and a bunch of eneloop batteries.

Preparedness Stuff :
10. A good radio that can pick up everything. Probably a Grundig.
11. Maybe a Berkey water filter and maybe some spare elements for it and the portable filter.
12. A basic solar setup. 

Gun Stuff:
12. Buy a full case of .223
13. Buy a full case of 9mm. (I am going to call this complete because it is funded)
14. Glock 9mm mags. At least 10 and ideally closer to 20.
15. Some M1a mags. At least 10 and ideally closer to 20.
16. A few more spare parts and at least one AR15 full bolt carrier group.

Food Rotation:
17. Get a pressure canning setup and can something.

This one just isn't going to happen. We can't get any of the stuff locally and paying shipping negates any financial benefits. I am willing to do it just for the sake of the skill but not with that hassle.

18. Get a dehydrator and dehydrate something. Jerky is good and so are banana slices.

And Just To Get To An Even 20......
19. Get a subscription to Backwoods Home Magazine and otherwise work on my self sufficiency/ preparedness library.
20. Join a gun rights organization.

Time for discussion. Things are going pretty well. All the more expensive goals have been met.

Oh yeah and click on my advertisers links and  buy lots of their stuff.


Thoughts?

3 comments:

Commander_Zero said...

If youre going the pressure canning route, I have found the All American brand of canner to be the shiznits.
http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamericanpressurecanner.htm

Anonymous said...

Pretty darn good, I think I maybe started a 1/3 of my intended goals, the others are still waiting. I'm a lazy bum prepper.

Mainly reinforcing holes though, I think I got the basics covered for at least 6 months for our family. Which in 'Real World' probably translates to 3.

The glaring holes - water procurement. No source of water here, so having something that works is a priority. From what I've dug up of city ordinances, I have so many regulations to conform to, dying of thirst might be the better alternative. That or just go rogue and totally under radar, and not sure I can hide that from neighbors.

Adventures in Self Reliance said...

Meat, butter even Milk can be canned via pressure cooker.
That's one on my to do list as well.
check out
http://www.preparednesspro.com/blog/
Kellene has all the instructions on her site

Popular Posts