Wednesday, December 15, 2010

New Years Resolutions Concluded

Well the year isn't quite over yet but it seemed like a good time to see how I have done on my goals. Lined through are completed.


My goals for this year.

Personal:

1. Pay more attention to my wife. This one is continual but I think it went OK.
2. Travel a lot. We did pretty good at this one. Went to Croatia, Italy, Spain, Luxembourg and the Czech Republic and Paris.
Personal Stuff:

3. We can use a few smaller things like a new TV and another laptop. The main push however is to get a reliable second car which we pay cash for.
Financial:

4. Stash some more Euro's. Say E400 or so. Didn't quite get to 400 but I am calling it close enough.
5. Contribute 10% of our total take home to retirement.

6. Stash at least a half an ounce of gold and 40 ounces of silver. Didn't get too far on
the silver. Sorta misestimated what we were capable of. Also prices going up did not help.

7. Continue to not make stupid choices.

Skills:

8. Take an automotive class. They offer them on base and I need to know more about car repair.

This one got replaced by brewing some beer which I did.

9. Be able to setup and trouble shoot a small solar setup. Sorta mute since I went with a solar charger and a bunch of eneloop batteries.

Preparedness Stuff :

10. A good radio that can pick up everything. Probably a Grundig.

11. Maybe a Berkey water filter and maybe some spare elements for it and the portable filter.

12. A basic solar setup.

Gun Stuff:

12. Buy a full case of .223

13. Buy a full case of 9mm.
14. Glock 9mm mags. At least 10 and ideally closer to 20.

15. Some M1a mags. At least 10 and ideally closer to 20.

16. A few more spare parts and at least one AR15 full bolt carrier group.

Also picked up a full case of 7.62x39 and another 10 mags for that gun.

Food Rotation:

17. Get a pressure canning setup and can something.

This one just didn'thappen. We can't get any of the stuff locally and paying shipping negates any financial benefits. I am willing to do it just for the sake of the skill but not with that hassle.

18. Get a dehydrator and dehydrate something. Did this.
And Just To Get To An Even 20......

19. Get a subscription to Backwoods Home Magazine and otherwise work on my self sufficiency/ preparedness library.

20. Join a gun rights organization.

Time for discussion. Things went pretty well. All the more expensive goals have been met. A couple goals just didn't pan out. I never got around to more spare parts because I ended up getting other stuff. On the whole I am happy with this years accomplishments.

Oh yeah and click on my advertisers links and buy lots of their stuff.

5 comments:

chadow10 said...

Ryan,
Don't let the pressure canning hold you off. I learned some canning basics this year just using the bath method. Anything acidic does not require the increased expense of the preassure canner.
From my little home plot (a continuing learning experiment) I made salsa and pickled bannana peppers. It's easy and the research required is half of why I do it in the first place.
I'm having a banner year popping Bambi here in North GA and have been experimenting with the jerky. I just picked-up some casings and will be doing the sausage next.
Take some baby steps on the canning thing. No need to get the whole mad scientist lab right away.

Ryan said...

Chadow, The issue is that we couldn't get stuff like cans, lids and rings here. We were going to have to order them and pay shipping. It was going to be fairly expensive and thus not worth the hassle.

chadow10 said...

I guess that that begs the next question. What do German survivalists practice to preserve food? What's the old-school Euro thing?

Rick said...

Nice accomplishments for the year. I think you are making a mistake buying Euros. Europe is in worse shape than the US.
Fiat currency is no way to store value today.

Ryan said...

Rick, Thanks. The thing is that I live in Germany and outside of base and it's immediate proximity I need Euro's to buy anything. I agree that it isn't a store of value and don't see it that way. You absolutely need to keep some local cash on hand.

Popular Posts