Sunday, October 7, 2012

Many Different Things: Ammo, Mag's, tiny .22's and Random Thoughts

Today I finished up putting away the ammo. As mentioned previously these inventories found our stock of 30-30 Winchester painfully low at only 320 rounds. This was no bueno. I was pleased to stumble into 3 more boxes of 30-30 ammo while unloading some stuff which helped. Also today I picked up 3 more boxes on top of that so we are within spitting distance of the 500 rd goal there.

[500 rds isn't a ton but to be honest the gun is a backup to a backup for us. We stock considerably more .223 and 7.62x39. Half the reason I stock the caliber at all is that it is common in the 2 boxes of ammo on hand crowd and thus one good folks might need.]

 Today magazines inventories started. They will not be 100% until our stuff gets here but initial reports are in. We are long on AK and Glock magazines. This was somewhat intentional. The AK stuff because it is just getting more expensive. I don't NEED a lot of it but as a bit of speculation it might be good to have in the future. Also there is always the potential for trade/ barter/ charity down the road.

As to Glock mags. I am way past my theoretical standard of 10 magazines per pistol. This will change a bit when I pick up another Glock in the next year or two but not that much. Thinking of either adjusting the ratio or maybe just allocating a dozen mags to cache or something.

On the downside we are pretty short on mags for the .22's.We have just 4 mags for the Ruger 10/22 and 3 for the Browning Buckmark. I would like to have 6 or so for each. Will have to work on this in the coming months.

We have some other mags for guns I do not own. I held onto a few 1911 mags and a bit of ammo when I sold the old slab side. Should have done the same thing when I sold the Glock .40 but alas I did not. It may lean into crazy territory but I would like the option to feed guns in common calibers. The other mags were at too good of deals to pass up or are for guns that I may buy some day.

Strait Forward in a Crooked World makes an interesting case for the tiny .22 pistol. The traditional answer to this problem of a very small pistol would be a .380. However that would mean a new caliber for me and I am very pleased to have a nice simple (handgun) logistical situation. To me the biggest benefit would be not needing to add a new caliber. We have plenty of .22 ammo already. The new really tiny single stack 9mm's like the Ruger LC9 and S&W Shield are also worth considering. It would be 2 guns but a Ruger LC9 and a little Beretta (or way cooler old Walther) .22 pistols would give me slightly larger and smaller options than a .380 (but a bit better more flexibility) combined with maintaining my simple logistical situation. At this stage in life the cost of procuring an additional firearm might be worth it for me.

Today I went to the store to get a folding chair and a floor lamp. The last couple days I have been sitting on a cot and due to the lack of lighting in the living room (really the whole house) being a sad panda in the dark. This is a big improvement.

Wifey and kiddo are flying down here next weekend. I am really excited.  My bachelor survival skills have slid away since marriage so things are pretty rough here. More to the point I miss them both a ton. She is probably what keeps me as a reasonably sane functional person and kiddo is just hilarious. Things should be set up well so that they can arrive and settle in somewhat seamlessly.

Anyway aside from me being too lazy to cook dinner that is what's going on here.

Hope you all had a good weekend,
R











8 comments:

Anonymous said...

FWIW, those Ruger factory 10 rd rotary 10/22 mags fit very nicely into MOLLE 1,2, and 3-grenade pouches almost like the two were purpose-built, which makes it stupid easy to tote loads of them around in quantities that would embarass a double-bandoleered bandito from "The Magnificent Seven".
The same pouches also hold 50 round boxes of 22LR. Sealed in ziplocs, or evn better, in vacuum food sealer tubes, they're also liable to shoot like brand new loads by the time your rugrat is graduating college.
-Aesop

Ryan said...

Aesop, Interesting. I like those rotary mags. They just work.

Will have to pick up a couple more of those pouches to hold a 10/22 reload.

I store our ammo in military surplus ammo cans (that have good seals) with silica gel to absorb any moisture. Stored this way they should be good for a half century or so.

Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

Check out the BX-25 Ruger 10/22 magazines too, its gaining some fans.

Archer Garrett said...

BX-25 stays on the 10/22 by my bedside. Just as reliable as the 10rd rotaries.

Woe is the critter that wakes me up at night.

Anonymous said...

Tiny .22s - the article listed makes some really great points. Those 22 rimfire hideout guns are darn light, small and slim which make them really easy to carry. When I go hunting, a hideout .22 is easy to carry in my M65 jacket pocket. Coup de grace on big game, short range 'wabbit whacker', or a JIC firearm - it doesn't get in the way.

Do I have faith of a 1 shot stop - not really, but I am comforted that it is there, just the same. I'd rather have one than the baddest knife I own if given the choice.

chadow10 said...

I found an older model .22 revolver that was double action. I am using it to teach my son how to shoot and tell the difference in trigger weight between double and single action. It's just a ton of fun! He goes through about 100-200 rounds in an hour. Price $115 at the pawn shop.

JB Bryant said...

Have you considered the Bersa Thunder 22 or the Firestorm .22 pistols. Look like the Walther, but way, way cheaper. I agree with the logistics argument.

TEOTWAWKI Blog / Alexander Wolf said...

Thanks for linking to the post on small .22s.

I had a Beretta Jetfire for a while - excellent, tiny gun, but in 25 ACP. Disappeared where ever it needed to. I traded it in on my current small gun, a Smith 642.

I've been meaning to pick up a Beretta Bobcat for a long, long while.

There are LOTS of trade offs involved, but a lot of upside, too.

There are some very cool old designs made for the .25 ACP that I'd love to see brought back in .22 lr. The Browning Vest Pocket anyone?

I'm also not sure why someone hasn't made a DA .22lr revolver in between the tiny NAA minis and a J-frame. Minis are too small, J-frame too big, in the middle would be just right.

Popular Posts