Sunday, November 11, 2012

Doomsday Preppers and Solar Charger Test

Today we caught a couple episodes of Doomsday Preppers on the tv. We hadn't seen that show before as it was not available in Germany so it was pretty interesting. Some things definitely jumped out at me.

First the amount of people who were very prepared but seriously overweight amazed me. I'm not talking could stand to lose a few pounds or a bit of a belly but strait up obese. I just don't get it. The odds they will have to walk more than a couple miles, maybe carrying a moderate load like a get home bag, face a physical confrontation or pull their body over an obstacle are far higher than that they will need a year's worth of food, a Faraday cage or whatever. Also even if they have the discrete skills to survive a gunfight their fat body might not be able to move fast enough and their already taxed heart might give out due to the stress. I talk physical fitness a lot here. Running, lifting heavy things, ruck marching and generally how to be a modern day guerrilla or whatever else you wanna call it. You do not have to do what I do exactly but for goodness sake do something.

Other than that rather obvious note the biggest thing that jumped out at me were gaping holes in peoples preps. Mostly it was people with otherwise great setups that had no serious security plans. Some were seemingly intimidated by the subject and others were back to nature gardening types that are rather naive to the ways of the world.

I decided to do some testing with our little Bruton solar charger. It did a great job charging 2 AA batteries (holds 4 but I only had 2 dead ones) in about 2 hours. I tried charging a device via the USB port some time ago and it failed for undiagnosed reasons. However it did just fine with the batteries and they are what is really important so that is good. Looking at getting a bigger setup. Something large enough to charge a few devices and run some lights. Goal 0 makes some pretty nice stuff.

Anyway I hope you all have a great Sunday


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about this for a micro solar set up:

Anonymous said...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Uses-For-Dead-Car-Batteries-And-Sealed-Lead-Acid-B/?allstep

Ryan said...

Very interesting. Makes sense that a battery which can't start a car would still work for other applications.

Max said...

My biggest issue with DDP has always been the conditioning of the people. Unfortunately it doesn't get better, I find we make comments mainly about the health/fitness vs. the preps.

Never know when you can get a good idea so we keep watching.

Anonymous said...

It kind of makes sense to me that the 320 lb. whale you see at the market with a cart full of beer and twinkies will be the first one to stash pallets of chow.

I watched a bunch of the episodes that're YouTubed, and they all convinced me that anyone crazy enough to yack about their preps on cable are probably too stupid/insane/both to contribute much more than negative lessons, I.e. "Don't do this!"

Which I'm also convinced was the editorial point from producers in the first place. Partly out of loathing for everyone sensible, and thus a default to the crazy. But primarily because that's what makes good TV, or circus sideshow (but I repeat myself).

"Cops" would have gotten cancelled if they just showed guys writing tickets, taking reports, and eating at greasy spoons episode after episode.

Personally, I'd kill for a show where ,Rawles, Commander Zero, and you or Mosby or AM, all blurred and voice changed, sat on a panel and estimated the actual survival time in days for each prepper from a garden-variety problem and protracted difficulty. Perhaps with another panel with gang members and criminals discussing how they'd deal with the Gilligan's Island defenses, if not how the womenfolk would fare afterwards.
From what I saw of the episodes, most would be dead within a month, and some in a few minutes.

-Aesop

Ryan said...

Max, I find it interesting.

Aesop, Guess that makes some sense. To me it is more like I wonder how folks plan to live long enough to eat all that food let alone do 19th century style farm work when they are in that sort of shape.

I sort of factor in some creative licensing with the editing and try not to judge folks too hard. That being said the camera doesn't add 60 let alone 150 pounds.

"Personally, I'd kill for a show where, Rawles, Commander Zero, and you or Mosby or AM, all blurred and voice changed, sat on a panel and estimated the actual survival time in days for each prepper from a garden-variety problem and protracted difficulty. Perhaps with another panel with gang members and criminals discussing how they'd deal with the Gilligan's Island defenses, if not how the womenfolk would fare afterwards.
From what I saw of the episodes, most would be dead within a month, and some in a few minutes."

JWR would probably be pricey. I've had offers and believe Commander Zero has also. For me anonymity is just too important and there are some issues about how things are portrayed.

If some group or individual within the community was getting something going it might be another matter.

Popular Posts