Saturday, January 5, 2013

EDC Contest Entry #4 Thomas

Hey Folks, I am pleased to bring the first entry for our EDC Contest. First we will quickly recap what is going on. The broad strokes are this. I want to share and discuss the stuff we carry around every day AKA EDC. Taking pictures of our stuff and talking about it is my goal.

The prizes will be as follows:
1st Place: 3 Sport Berkey Water Bottles donated by LPC Survival ($69 value)
2nd Place: 1 Blackhawk Holster donated by LuckyGunner.com ($50 value)
3rd Place:  1 Snare-Vival-Trap cough garote cough donated by Camping Survival ($17 value)

Wildcard: This one goes to whoever I want to give it to for whatever reason I feel like. It will be a grab bag donated by yours truly. The exact makeup is TBD depending on what I have lying around  and may include books, gear, medical stuff or even a couple silver dimes. ($30+  value)

Check out the details and my example post here. 







 Onto Entry #4

Since I am a 16 year old high school student I can't take the knives or fire starting gear into the school during regular school days but i leave them in my moms car and i carry them every where else.
On the upper left I have my Columbia hiking boots that i always wear just in case my parents cant pick me up or I can't use one of there cars (when I borrow them to drive to school). they are comfortable and light, waterproof, oil protected, and a discreet color.
Next is my Swiss Army (Wenger) belt that I have had for years. I use it to carry my flashlight and my fire steel. I have also read and seen many other uses for a strong belt.
Underneath the belt is my Patagonia waterproof wind breaking jacket that is great in all the conditions I have been in. It is small and light but does the job right.
Below the jacket is a Klarus xt11 cree led flashlight that will pump out 600 lumens for 2.2 hours 150 lumens for 7.3 hours, 10 lumens for 12.3 days (295 hours)m and a tactical strobe mode. All of this on One Rechargeable 18650 which I carry an extra one (shown left to the flash drive).
Next to the klarus is a 32 g flash drive with important documents and it gives me the ability to put any important software on it. (plus a few games).
my wallet carries a small about of assorted cash just in case, my ID, and a few cotton balls/matches.
One the right of the wallet is my Swiss army knife that has a big and small knife, wood and metal saw/file, bottle and can opener, wine opener, scissors,  chisel, parcel carrier, a reamer, and 3 different screw driver sizes.
To the right is my fire starting gear for well fire starting
 Last but not least is my iPhone 4 in a nice case that is great for emergency calling and listening to Led Zeppelin.
Thank you for your great blog that people of all ages can read.
 -End-

Ryan here. Please thank Thomas for his entry. I think it is pleasantly surprising every time I see teenagers with their stuff together. I had some outdoor skills then but didn't have any sort of thought out EDC or survival type kits.

Also check out previous contest entries:  EDC Contest entry #1 by Jacob and EDC Contest entry #2 by Max and EDC Contest entry #3 Mike in Wisconsin.

4 comments:

Loup Espi├Ęgle said...

A knife comes in handy, but you can survive without it.
When I was your age, I had an EDC but I can't remember what I carried along :-)
That's cool to see that some teenagers have the survival mindset.

Tommy Higgins said...

All you have to do is look at today's events. I just surprised more people aren't prepared. For the coming natural and man made disasters

Max said...

Congrats on thinking ahead while being a teenager.... and for having shoes that work! Good job.

Anonymous said...

seems as though you got things 'wired tight', certainly a fine start to life of prep...best is that you're listening to LZ and not some crap...you rock brother

Popular Posts