Friday, January 11, 2013

EDC Contest Entry #7 Dan

Hey Folks, I am pleased to bring another entry for our EDC Contest. First we will quickly recap what is going on. The broad strokes are this. I want to share and discuss the stuff we carry around every day AKA EDC. Taking pictures of our stuff and talking about it is my goal.

The prizes will be as follows:
1st Place: 3 Sport Berkey Water Bottles donated by LPC Survival ($69 value)
2nd Place: 1 Blackhawk Holster donated by LuckyGunner.com ($50 value)
3rd Place:  1 Snare-Vival-Trap cough garote cough donated by Camping Survival ($17 value)

Wildcard: This one goes to whoever I want to give it to for whatever reason I feel like. It will be a grab bag donated by yours truly. The exact makeup is TBD depending on what I have lying around  and may include books, gear, medical stuff or even a couple silver dimes. ($30+  value)

Check out the details and my example post here. 

 Onto Entry #7

1. Colt's Government Model 1911 (stainless) in .45 ACP. Used these guns since I began carrying a pistol in 1998, and I'm comfortable with them. Loaded with 8 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense 185gr FTX. Carried at about 4:00 on my right side.

2. Milt Sparks "Summer Special 2." I love this leather holster, it rides and conceals well and of course fits the Colt like a glove. Though it's not in the photo (it's on my pants!) the belt makes *all* the difference with this gun/holster -- I use a 1.5-inch wide brown bullhide belt, made by Jim Speidel (The Beltman) -- and it holds the weight of that big pistol very well. The price of the belt was worth every penny. Carrying a heavy gun with a floppy belt is misery. 

3. Blackberry for work.

4. Cheap "Sacred Fire" LED Flashlight. I think I got this thing for $10, since I got tired of carrying my SureFire 6Z around and wanted to see how something smaller would work out. It has a glow-in-the-dark tailcap, which I like, and will take either a AA battery or a CR123A (which makes it brighter, and what's in there). I figured if I liked having this smaller pocket light, I'd get something better after it died (and for ten bucks, it was a good test, right?), yet it's been going for more than two years now. I'm probably pushing my luck with this one and since I do use it quite a bit, should look at getting a Fenix or another smaller SureFire.

5. Victorinox Swiss Army knife -- Officer's model. Gets used every day. Smaller and lighter than a full-size multi-tool, and I use the scissors on this knife way more than I'd ever use the pliers on a multi-tool.

6. Carmex lip balm for chapped lips. This is good stuff.

7. Keys for truck and house.

8. IMCO Super Triplex. A really slick little lighter, made in Austria, and a handy thing to have even for a non-smoker. The fuel cell with the wick is removable, and lets you light things like camp fires, pipes, and whatnot that needs distance from the lighter. I think the company is out of business now, which is a bummer.

9. Don Hume leather single-stack mag pouch with an 8-round Colt's magazine. Also loaded with the Hornady Critical Defense ammo. Sits at about 8:00 on my belt.

10. Gerber Paraframe knife. Very light and sharp and only 20 bucks, so I wouldn't cry if I lost it. My father-in-law just gave me a really nice CRKT M4 knife for Christmas, though, so I think the Gerber is going to be shuffled to the "backup" role.

11. Wallet. Made out of baseball glove leather, this has only gotten better with age. Holds the usual ID, CCW permit, cash, cards, etc.

I'm a Levi's/T-shirt/flannel shirt and hiking boots kinda guy, so that's what I typically wear over/with all this.

Occasionally the Colt gets replaced by an old J-frame Smith & Wesson 342PD AirLite Ti in .38 Special, which rides in a little leather Mitch Rosen "Workman" holster -- a very light (11 oz) and easy-to-conceal revolver, especially in the summer. Not much fun to shoot, though.

 -End-

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice setup - that MS Summer Special is sweet! I'm sure it will give you a long life, Sparks holsters are made to last.

Max said...

now you just need a phone from this decade :)

Dan said...

LOL @ Max. Yeah, I tried to tell that to my boss. It's issued by the company and is the only thing they'll let us use at work, since it has "secure" e-mail.

Wasn't MY money buying it, so whatever.

3rdman said...

Max,

I was thinking the same thing. I guess it goes with the pistol. That Colt looks just like the one I carried in the early 90s before I switched to the Sig P220. I now carry a G22. Never the less the Colt Gov is a great pistol and I still kick myself in the backside for selling mine.

Max said...

I have a thompson .45, feel like a street sweeper. Somethings are just classics and fit any occasion!

Popular Posts