Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happiness is a Brownells Box at Your Door


I ordered 10 more PMAGs and some various spare parts from Brownells on the 17th of December and it showed up at my door this evening. In the time it took for them to ship the price I could get for them has multiplies 3-4 times. However those are just paper gains because I am not selling them.

We did not need them but I wanted more PMAGs. Wish I would have ordered 4 more so we would have a nice even number. I'll tack them onto my next order and if they show up that is nice and if not oh well. Honestly we are above ratio (20 per gun) so they aren't needed but I like PMAGs and want the option to continue using them. Spare parts were to replace some taken from inventory to finish (after me losing/ breaking a couple things in my AR-15 lower receiver build) and fill some holes we had.

5 Lessons from the Panic in 2012 at Teotwawki Blog was worth reading and thinking about. All in all if things get ugly we are not in a bad spot. Mostly this is because we were not in a bad spot before this whole current mess. The vast majority of this preparation was done over a few years at normal prices and deals when I could find them. We have picked up a few things including this order but they were really just rounding things out. This mag order was icing on the cake so to speak.

Also I knew what our shortages were and acted upon them. Not perfectly.  The day those mags were ordered I SHOULD have purchased an AR-15 stripped lower for a pistol build when prices were sane. Don't have a great reason why, this just didn't happen. If something sticks I will really regret that mistake. Beyond that anything I would want (a complete AR pistol to go with that lower or a PTR-91) would have been cost prohibitive for us.

The only thing that really came to mind except the stuff covered in Alexanders post is the benefit of having some money lying around. We have been able to surge on some things because at little to no notice there was money to do so. If we had no money that would not have happened. 

Anyway those are my thoughts on that. Hope you are doing well filling whatever shortages you may have.

 

2 comments:

AM said...

I sold off a bunch of mags at a gunshow last saturday. Only made two bucks over cost on the pmags, but did ok on the GI's I'd updated with magpul folowers.

I kept my stack of 20 round mags for competition, and "just in case." If I ever empty all the mags in that stack I won't have lost the fight for lack of trying, just lack of people who saw things my way.

The way I figure it, if things go south getting a hold of magazines is the least of my worries. And the cash from the sales will help cover my cost for a competition that requires travel.

Max said...

Funny but my order for pmags was placed on the 10th and will be here tomorrow.
The other ones I ordered on the 10th are still on backorder (windowed pmags).

Are you my twin or something.

Popular Posts