Thursday, April 25, 2013

Kershaw Blur: Initial Impressions

Awhile back Grasshoppa was kind enough to send me a Kershaw Blur. I've been carrying it around for about a month now. Certainly enough time to get a sense of what it is and isn't.

I really don't have enough good things to say about the Kershaw Blur. The spring assist basically makes it a blade activated switch blade without any of the legal constrains (as far as I know anyway) which is pretty cool. The metal handle with grip inserts is pretty awesome especially at this knife's competitive price point.

The blade is very sharp and well designed. I find the curved swooping back of the blade a bit awkward aesthetically but it puts the point in the right place (centered) which is what really matters. It cuts the heck out of everything I've given a go at which is all you can ask for a knife. The edge seems to be holding nicely.

The clip is very secure and well designed. I appreciate that it securely holds the knife in it's place using a simplistic design with two screws. Too many folks skip the design portion of a clip and try to make it secure with more screws which makes for a bulkier clip. The only issue I have is that (at least on my particular model) there are only holes for the clip on the right side which would be awkward for lefties. It can be tip up or down which is better than some models.

Right now the role my Blur has found is as a "get off me blade". Given that small daggers and push knives can be legally problematic and even a small fixed blade is fairly long for EDC in my lifestyle a folder is the available option. I appreciate the easy opening feature even more with my weak hand. It's riding OWB clipped to my belt at about 9 o'clock. Seems pretty secure plus at their excellent price point if it gets lost I'll order another then put it into a sheath in the same place.

Depending on where you shop a Kershaw Blur can be had between $40 and 50. I find it equal to or superior to any comparably priced offerings by other major brands like Cold Steel or Spyderco. You can certainly spend more money on a knife. That money will get you a bit more fit/ finish then at some point maybe a bit of quality and warranty support. However at their price point you can have a blur in both family vehicles and several kits/ caches. I seriously doubt an Emerson or high end Benchmade will outlast 6-8 Kershaw Blur's.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've carried a Kershaw "Avalanche" around for 5 or 6 years now. It quickly became my most favorite knife ever, for most of the reason Ryan articulated about the Blur, and unfortunately they don't make that model anymore. Once and a while one will turn up and I'll generally try to buy it to put back for future use.

Point is, Kershaw will occasionally drop some of their designs and if you really like the Blur, remember the old saying "two is one and one is none" and get another to rat-hole sooner rather than later, while they're still available.

I've dinked around quite a bit with a couple Benchmade automatics that a cop buddy has, and for my purposes, my Kershaw spring-assisted opens just as quickly without the possible legal issues attendant to the automatics.

H

Ryan said...

H, Good point. I will add a couple spares to the list. Knife to knife the Benchmade Auto's are superior. Dollar for dollar I am a lot less sure a $300 Benchmade would be the correct choice.

Anonymous said...

I'm not so crazy about tanto pointed knives, but I know they have their fans. That was very cool having that gifted to you - a good friend!

I like the Scallion myself, Kershaw offer a good product for the price. I do agree with Anon above - if you REALLY like it, buy another or pair of them - it will be worth it. Knives grow legs and disappear from time to time.

Ryan said...

@5:34, Yes it was pretty cool. I prefer a standard clip point for an all around knife. The tanto is great for wrecking stuff though.

Popular Posts