Saturday, July 13, 2013

Three Knifes For......

It seemed like talking knives would be fun so here we are. I got to thinking about which knives I would want if only a few could be had. I discussed a five knife scenario awhile back and wanted to update it to include some new purchases and be a bit more limiting. Decided on three knives partly because it is the number most of these type discussions seem to go for.

Concept of use/ generic type of knife:
1- EDC Folder
2- Belt knife
3- Large camp/ survival/ fighting knife

I intentionally did not consider multi tools. The primary reason for this is they fall more into the tool category than the knife category. Sort of like a leatherman is not a bottle opener just because it has one on there. The secondary reason is I simply do not find much use for them. It's a nice tool and a nice idea but I rarely find use for them in a place I could not have a whole box of tools. Sure there is one in my BOB and another in the car kit but I do not feel the need to carry one every day.

The EDC folder is my Benchmade auto. The belt knife is a Pathfinder trade knife. The camp knife is my camp knife from JP's Custom knifes. After a semi gratuitous picture of the knives closed I will talk about the decisions I made and some sticking points that came up in them.

I really like the Benchmade so it was an easy choice though really any quality folder could fill the roll. The belt knife is where I had to do a lot of thinking. I was totally up in the air between the Pathfinder and my Ontario RAT 3. The RAT 3 is pretty handy with a nice sheath but is just a bit too short to fill this role. When testing the RAT 3 I found myself jamming part of the handle into a roast or large piece of meat to get the blade all the way through. While the Pathfinder Trade Knife narrowly wins I am not entirely thrilled with the choice. A slightly larger RAT like the 4 (reviewed at TEOTWAWKI blog) or 5 would probably be a great option, for more money the new Benchmade Bush Crafter would be great also.

My camp knife was an easy decision, it is pretty awesome. Recommend JP's Custom Knives for your premium cutlery needs. One could argue my Cold Steel kukuri fits in the same niche but I disagree. That machete on steroids is great for brush and small wood but that's it. My Camp Knife can do light brush or small wood tasks but is still handy for cooking or general use which cannot be said of the kukuri. To me the debate would not be between the Camp Knife and the kukiri but between the kukuri and a hawk/ hatchet/ small ax.

With these three knives I could complete every semi normal knife type task readily imaginable. Aside from Wifey not liking me taking a knife off my belt to cut dinner with there would be no real downside. That makes my inner (he rarely wins) minimalist want to start getting rid of stuff and my paranoid side want to start caching stuff. 

What would your three knives be? I am curious about broad type/ concept of use as well as specific make/ model. 



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do carry a leatherman every day, I keep a kershaw auto of some type In my front pocket. and a pocket bushman in my back pocket. I absolutly love my bushman. I vary the other two because I am an electronic tech. And use them, a lot.
I cary those three knives. A small stream light flash light. And a maxpedition medium rollypolly pouch.
The GI tanto stays in the truck. I use all of the items day in day out. I wouldn't want to pare down to 3 knives

Anonymous said...

My big knife - Cold Steel 12" Bowie machete. A compact tool with fine point that does A LOT, given its small size. I drilled though the top near the top of top edge of clip blade to use as a place to insert handle material for a draw knife.

Camp knife - lots of good canidates, but my go-to for years is the Buck 105 Pathfinder.

Pocket knife - Schrade Old Timer or vintage German Eye Trappers or Muskrat patterns - handy using knives.

And I like multi-tools as well - the pliers are especially handy, bottle openers not so much.

Menseffects said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts