Friday, December 27, 2013

2014 New Years Resolutions- Soliciting Input

I am going to try a different way of breaking these up this year. More by function than anything else.

Edited to include: the stuff in light grey are long shots. By long shots I mean they are not realistically funded based on projected levels of spending. Admittedly this is pretty unscientific since I do not have an exact projected preps budget that is divided amongst different areas. It's probably more of a gut feeling based on the last few years of what I will realistically be able to do than anything else.

Shoot
Skills:
Attend a quality defensive pistol course. Scheduled in one for early 2014.
Try to attend an Appleseed if I can. Due to scheduling and other life stuff this is a long shot.
Following said defensive pistol course begin a dry fire regimen.
Shoot more often. Ideally at least monthly but certainly not more than bi monthly.

Stuff:
Finish the 870 P project. Refinish, light, sling, ammo cards, ammo holding system to match.
Get a .30 cal precision rifle almost surely a .308.
I have been semi casually looking for a single shot 12 gauge shotgun to go all Dave Canterbury. If I find one I will buy it.
Set up the big wheel gun the way I want it. Grips, holster, belt, speed loaders, etc all
Put nice grips on the 642 like Alexander Wolfe's.
 Maybe start on an AR pistol

Consumables and minor stuff:
250 rounds buckshot
250 rounds #4 shot
250 slugs
Get a quality kydex outside waistband Glock holster with mag pouches to match
4 Ruger 10/22 BXP mags
A case of 5.56 ammo
A stripped AR-15 lower receiver
Long shot a case of 9mm FMJ and a second case of 5.56 ammo
10 each PMAGs
 6x Glock 17 mags
I can always use another 10/22 or a Glock 19 but those are big time long shots.


Move
Fitness:
Run more, keeping better track of it. Maybe do a marathon or something.
Keep up a decent weight lifting regimen with hard circuit based body weight type stuff.
Generally keep on doing good things

Stuff:
Break in all extra boots that are currently accessible.
Not sure exactly where this fits but I want to firm up our heavy (vehicle) bug out packing list then have that stuff ready to go. Also continue developing all of our systems
Purchase a small enclosed trailer. 

Communicate:
Skills: Get a ham radio license
Get better with HTLM and web coding stuff (any advice would be great)

Stuff:
Get a ham radio, probably one of the little Baeofong (spelling) setups to start.
Get a set of 2 (4 would be better) good FRS radios with head sets. I have a pair in storage that might work but I've got to test them.
Get a scanner 

Sustain:
Keep building our food supply to the interim goal of having a year's worth for 4 people
Get chickens
Start growing some herbs n stuff. Maybe sprouts too.

Survive:
Continue to improve our cache situation
Work to develop primitive skills
Pick up another full tang medium sized survival/ general purpose knife or maybe two plus stuff to round out some of the redundant parts of my various kits
Get 3-4 more wool blankets

Alternative Energy:
Skills: Use the stuff we have more to figure out how to make it work for our needs. This includes a good plan for charging Wifey's smart phone on the go.

Stuff : Wifey mentioned wanting to get a generator before hurricane season. We are far enough North in Louisiana so as to avoid utter destruction but can definitely lose power. A buddy up here lost power for a week during Rita. This worried Wifey. So we might just get a generator. Probably an EU 2000 like Zero has.

Stashing a half dozen or so military gas cans would be nice. Enough gas to completely fill up both our vehicles twice and run a genny enough to keep the freezer cold, charge batteries and watch a bit of news for at least 2 weeks (a month would be better) would be great. Got to do some math on that one.

That's what I have planned for this coming year. If there are any major changes as things calm down I'll publish a final draft, otherwise I'll run with this one.

What do you plan to do?

8 comments:

AuricTech said...

Under shooting skills, I would include at least two range sessions in adverse weather conditions.

tpals said...

If you get everything ready for the chickens, you'll be able to take advantage when someone suddenly offers you a few hens. Build the coop bigger than you think you need.

riverrider said...

my main one is fitness. since retirement i gained 30 lbs. i'm getting close to fatguy status. i've rearranged my shop so i can put my rowing machine out there and i'm setting it up as a gym. after my last doctor visit, i finally have found the motivation again...shoot more is on my list. with the ammo situation i had been holding off...decided this year that for every honey-do list item that i do, i will do one prep item from my list because i never get to the end of the honey-do list to even start the prep list. items include installing a hand pump and 12v pumps on my water catchment system etc...not much on purchases this year, i'm about set, just need to get moving. oh, and stop admiring the cache problem :) good luck on your resolutions.

Meister said...

I'd recommend you start reloading. Plenty of reloading systems are coming on Ebay now that the scare is over and people realize they can buy ammo again. Reloading has allowed me to shoot 308 at the same price as 5.56 new. I've upgraded all my battle rifles to 308 and I shoot way more now that ammo availability and price is determined my me. A case of 9mm is now 150 instead of 250-300. Even more savings if I make HP self defense ammo.

I don't feel as bad burning up reloads as I would with factory ammo. I can put back the factory stuff and burn the reloads without worry. I shoot way more at each session as well.

Chris said...

You can get a Harbor Freight 7 AMP generator for <$100. There's coupons on ebay.

We use it for our trailer and it would be enough to power a fridge.

Theother Ryan said...

AuricTech, I've shot a lot over the years in really nasty weather. Heck my range trip last week would be considered adverse weather in half the country. Not saying it isn't a good point, just something that doesn't necessarily apply to me.

Tpals, I like the idea of being towards the bottom end of a coup's occupancy. Good call.

Riverrider, Fitness without anybody yelling at you to run fast in the morning is hard.Alternating from his and hers lists is a fine idea.

Meister, I like the idea of reloading. Sort of decided to push on communications this year. A real basic (like Lee) setup might be realistic. I'll have to sleep on that one.

Chris, Will have to do some research. That being said I'm more of a 'can probably manage not to mess up a Honda guy' than a 'keep a Chinese made POS running somehow' kind of guy.

Pineslayer said...

Great list, not much different from my priorities. Building up infra-structure is a big one for us this year, gardens, coops, pens, storage like a root cellar.
Got power covered better than most, but a battery bank would be a top item. I think just a few deep cycles will be bought and installed in my van as an upgrade to my current system.

The list never ends.

We hope to get up to Mt. Rushmore this year too, on the bucket list. Don't forget to smell the roses on your way to the range :)

Happy and healthy New Year to all.

Theother Ryan said...

Pineslayer, Looks like a good list.

We did Mt Rushmoore on a drive from the PNW to Georgia some years back. Honestly it was cool but more like look at it for 15 minutes when you are in the general area cool than make a special trip just to go there.

That being said the Black Hills are a cool area. Between Rushmoore, Little Big Horn and the other sites you could have a nice week or so vacation in the area.

Popular Posts