Thursday, January 16, 2014

Fighting Load Contest Entry #4 Don in East Texas

Today I am proud to bring Entry #4 of our Fighting Load Contest by Don in

We'll be talking chest rigs and battle belts as well as guns and get home bags/ assault packs. Get yours together to win some great prizes including:
1st: Blackhawk 3 day Assault Pack ($90) AND a $50 gift certificate from LuckyGunner.com ($50 value) plus 2 copies of The Reluctant Partisan by John Mosby.
2nd: HERC stove from Titan Ready Water ($169 value) plus The Reluctant Partisan by John Mosby.
Note: Prizes 1 and 2 are really closely matched. As such the overall winner can pick the Lucky Gunner stuff OR the HERC. 2nd place gets what is left. 2 books will go to #1 and 1 book to #2.
3rd Place: 3 Sport Berkey Water Bottles donated by LPC Survival ($69 value)
4th Place:  A Lifestraw donated by Camping Survival ($20 value)
5th Place: A pair of Gyver Gear survival tin's
6th Place: The Western Front (hardcopy) or 3x e books by Archer Garrett.
Wildcard: This one goes to whoever I want to give it to for whatever reason I feel like. It will be a grab bag donated by yours truly. The exact makeup is TBD depending on what I have lying around  and may include books, gear, medical stuff or even a couple silver dimes. ($30+  value).

For a good example of a post reference my EDC Contest entry. Those should give you a good idea what type of thing I'm looking for. I will probably do a full fighting load post some time before the contest is over.

The contest is going to run from today 16 December to  around 1 February. Voting will start after the last entry is shown on the blog. Voting will run for about a week and will decide the winner's who get the prizes.
Read all the details here

This is taking off a bit slower than I wanted. Depending on demand maybe it will last longer but you should still get your entry in ASAP.

Onto the Entry 


My home defense gun is a Mossberg 12 gauge and my side arm is a Glock 17.  Most of my rig is very inexpensive.  It is as follows-

-Used everyday leather belt
1- shotgun shell holder 10 x 2
2-Glock 17
3-tai gear shoulder holster attached to belt
4-old binocular case repurposed for med gear (gauze, quick clot, tape and super glue)
5-Midland handheld CB radio set to EMS/LEO/Fire first responder channel
6-Magazine pouch with 2 Glock 17 mags
7-Mora #3 knife (larger version of #2 model, great knife)
8-Energizer High Lumen flashlight
9-Mora # 2 knife
10- mag pouch with 33 round Glock magazine, barely fits.

My flashlight is separate because I like to keep everything on my guns stock.  If I defend myself one day I don't want some lawyer showing a jury my super tactical lighted shotgun modified for zombies.  I also want to be able to quickly shine the light without aiming a firearm at someone.  I am okay with a shell sleeve though.  With the shells in the shotgun, the sleeve, and the two belt shell carriers I have 30 rounds for the shotgun with different projectiles.  Lots of 00 Buck, some slugs, and a few of these-
3 pellets of 00 Buck and a slug in one shell.  Ouch.  
 
 
The Glock is loaded with Federal 124 grain JHP.  With the 18 rounds in the Glock and the three other magazines (one is a 33 rounder) it brings me to 85 9mm rounds.  

Thanks for your service in the Armed Forces, the blog and the contest Ryan, 

-Don in East TX.
 
End Entry
First of all I would like to take a minute to thank Don for participating in this discussion and the contest.

I think a shotgun, with ancillary stuff to support it and a good pistol is an excellent setup. It can be had at common man type prices which saves a big hit on our pocket books. We get so rifle centric that we forget realistic Joe Everyday gunfights are happening from point blank out to 20, maybe 30 meters if folks start moving. The need to throw hate down on somebody 300m away is handy to have but I would submit probably not necessary to defend home and hearth. If there are any legitimate normal citizen self defense situations past 100 meters I haven't read about them.
 
Best I can tell this is a shoulder holster with a belt attached so it is one unit. I like the idea of grabbing one item, be it a rig like this, a battle belt, a chest rig or a plate carrier and being ready to go. Spending 10 minutes getting different pieces of gear on when there are strange voices in the living room at 3 am is not realistic. 
 
Additionally I like that this setup didn't cost a lot of money and I suspect was largely re purposed gear.  It's functional but didn't break the bank. That just goes to show you do not have to spend big money to have functional gear that works which is a lesson too easily forgotten in our consumerist society.
 
I'm curious about the reasoning behind 2 Mora knives right by each other. One makes fine sense, both are good options but I can't really see why 2, located an inch apart, would be needed. Don if you care to elaborate that would be nice.

As to lights. I think a hand held (not on a weapon) light is important for home defense. That being said it would be hard to effectively wield a shotgun in one hand with a handheld light in the other. Personally my house guns have lights too. I think the risk of making a deadly mistake is too high to not be sure right before choosing to pull the trigger. Having 2 or more lights (1x handheld, others on weapons) gives you options to use depending on the situation.

The CB tuned to the local EMS freq is a really nice touch. I should do that.

Don, Thanks again for playing.

Thoughts on this setup?

8 comments:

Don said...

Thanks for the blog Ryan. There are two knives just as a backup. The "two is one, one is none" train of thought. The holster has a snap release to access one-handed. I think a light attached to the Mossberg should be the next step. Thanks for the feedback and for posting it.

-Don in East Texas.

riverrider said...

nice setup. not a fan of the shotgun for home defense but to each their own. i like that its not all tacticool. don't see any tacticool on the ragheads nor any other insurgent. though i spent a fortune on tacticool, i always go back to alice...in bosnia they used a field jacket for everything quite well. can of food in one pocket, mags in another, and other than the ak47 they were very greyman if spotted by the wrong side,whatever side that was that day. useful skill in cases like that.

TEOTWAWKI Blog / Alexander Wolf said...

You know, folks get too hung up about a lawyer using something against them. If you used a bayonet or some sort of nasty specialty shotgun round--a bolo around or something--sure.

But a flashlight on a weapon is really not going to be one of them. What would the argument be? "He wanted to identify his target before shooting?" Cops everywhere have lights on their guns.

The Glock 'Happy Stick' would be more likely to draw attention from a lawyer.

Good use of stuff you have on hand/inexpensive stuff to put together a rig.

The shotgun IS a good 'every man' defense weapon, as long as you can handle the recoil and invest the time to master running the gun. There's a lot more to combat shotgunning than people think at first glance!

Theother Ryan said...

Alexander Wolfe, Personally I am far more concerned with the last minute target identification than the legal liability of having a light on my gun. I suspect if we broke down accidental defensive type shootings the amount who positively identified the target with a white light before firing would be very small. (The very small amount unfortunately being cops shooting kids with cap guns or whatever).

I likes me some shotguns. That is with the disclaimer that I am a healthy slightly larger than normal sized man. If I was 5'2" and 120 or had any upper body muscular or skeletal issues my outlook on the 12 gauge might be different.

A serious combat shotgun class is on my list. Though in the words of James Yeager "shotgun fights don't usually last very long".

Anonymous said...

Best Ive seen yet. Any body w/cash can build a uber super techy set. This is the gorilla mindset. Take what you have, hone it, make it work. Thanks for the read ryan, things just got interesting. HdesertL

riverrider said...

i love a shotty out in the woods or for targets that are outside the home, but not inside. i saw vids once of cons teaching each other how to disarm cops. not believing it could happen to me, i asked a corrections sgt buddy about it. he demonstrated on me, several times. nothing i could do to keep that shotgun in my hands in a close in confrontation even when i knew it was coming. i keep one by the door for outside threats only, and i learned to keep my pistol in tight indoors, not out in front at arms length. just my experience. again, i do like this guys set-up.

Rob said...

Riverrider -

Yep, cornering with long guns ain't easy and, done poorly, can make it pretty easy for the threat to take your shotgun - or at least wrestle you for it. I too choose a handgun w/ light for inside the house, and that's one of the (many) reasons.

One note - a close quarters struggle over a long gun is of the reasons why having a sidearm or even just a 'get off me' knife is handy. "Sure, take my long gun--while I draw my pistol and dump some JHP into your chest."

Theother Ryan said...

Long gun retention is a consideration. That being said it doesn't concern me excessively for a few reasons.
1)I've trained to hurt people with a long gun. A big ole steel and wood 870 is a decent weapon if you know how to use it.
2)Somebody trying to take a long gun is in the general direction of the dangerous end of said gun.
3) Can you say muzzle thump.

I like handguns for their compactness and one handed operation. Generally my 'go see what the weird noise in the kitchen' gun is a handgun. The long gun is more of a '2 male voices in the living room' so we're holding tight in the bedroom while Wifey calls the cops sort of thing. Or I suppose for a situation I am confident will be violent. Both are valuable tools for home defense.

Popular Posts